The Railroad The importance of theUnion Pacific Railroadcannot be exaggerated. The city began as a railroad town and continued to grow as the railroad brought new settlers to the area.
Although the rail presence in Evanston has declined in recent years, the imposing structures of the heyday of locomotive maintenance and repair have become the focal point of current renewal and preservation efforts.
Pioneers Early settlers of Evanston were entrepreneurs, building businesses for the growing community including:
Some settlers were getting a new start in a new town. Many were coal miners working in the several coal camps around Evanston. The businesses not only served the needs of the townspeople, but of the farmers and ranchers in the area as well.
Government Evanston was named the Uinta County Seat and the first courthouse was erected in 1873. In 1984, wings on either side of the original structure were added to make room for expanding government business. The wings feature reflecting glass, integrating the old building with the new by providing a 3-dimensional view of the historic building.
In 1906, a United States Senator from Evanston was instrumental in obtaining funding for a 3-story building to house the Federal Courtroom and the U.S. Post Office.